How to Eat Healthy While Traveling
Traveling soon? Perhaps a long-awaited vacation? Business trip? Something completely different?
No matter where you’re going, you’re probably going to appreciate some quick and easy healthy food ideas. These can help you stay on track and help you bring, and find real food. While these tips can all be used right here at home, this is extra-important when you’re traveling. Traveling can throw your regular healthy habits off when you’re skipping time zones or even just being in a different place.
As a health coach, I have such a sense of pride when my clients skip junky convenience foods. Let me give you some great strategies that can help you do this while you’re “on the road.”
Pro Tip: When booking your hotel room, ask if you can have one with a mini-fridge. This will help you store some of your healthy snacks and groceries while you’re there.
BRINGING YOUR OWN HEALTHY SNACKS
Well, this is important because not only will it keep you from becoming a “hangry junk-seeker,” but it can also hold you off until you’re able to stop at a proper grocery store for say…actual real food!
Here are a bunch of my favorite on-the-go snacks to have on hand in your bag and/or cooler:
- If you’re going to have a cooler, or eat them within a couple of hours, try fresh fruit or boiled eggs (don’t forget the ice packs).
- Unsalted nuts and seeds (I love walnuts and pumpkin seeds myself).
- Dried or even freeze-dried fruit.
- Kind Bars or Organic Bars of your choice
- Sliced veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber, broccoli, etc.) with a dip (hummus, guacamole, salad dressing, etc.). You can even buy single-serving packs at Costco.
- Find good quality protein bars, or make your own before heading out.
- Good quality granola cereal (I love Purely Elizabeth varieties)
- Savory snacks like roasted chickpeas.
- High-quality protein powder to make your own smoothies (I love the brand Kachava). Be sure to also pack a mini blender, like a Magic Bullet, if needed.
- And don’t forget your drinks. Bring some water with you. Or if you’re flying, choose water in the airport and on the plane.
HOW TO FIND HEALTHY FOOD AT YOUR DESTINATION
Of course, you can always Google your destination and search for grocery stores or healthy restaurants. But there are a couple of websites and apps that may be helpful for you.
- FindMeGlutenFree – A website that searches for gluten-free restaurants around the US.
- HealthyOut – An app that helps you find restaurants that cater to your dietary preferences, be they gluten-free, lactose-free, low-calorie, low-carb, etc.
- Food Tripping – Designed for road trips, this app helps you find alternatives to fast food.
Travelling often comes with unnecessary junk food that can derail your healthy lifestyle. Planning ahead and being prepared can be simple, and help keep your health goals on track even when you’re out and about!